Before I dive into this post, just let me say, welcome to Freelance Freedom Fighter!
I’ve put a lot of time into writing what I hope will be useful information to beginners looking to start their journey into freelance blogging. Just let me state something for the record though: Freelance blogging is not easy, but it’s not the hardest thing in the world either.
So, is it possible to make a decent living from freelance blogging? Why, yes. Yes, it is. Why can I say that confidently? Because I’m proof of that.
I work from home, I set my own schedule, and I make money from writing for others on their blogs. But, who am I exactly, and why the heck would you ever listen to me?
Well, to be completely honest, I’m no one special.
I never went to college, I don’t have a degree of any sort, and I’ve made about every grammar mistake in the books. All that I can lay claim to that I love to write. It’s as simple as that. I truly love writing.
Ever since I was a kid, I read books for hours on end. As I got older, that love of reading turned in to a love of writing. Like most aspiring writers, I always dreamed of writing the next New York Times Best-Seller novel, but I didn’t have the money (or the faith in myself) to pursue traditional publishing. As that was the case I simply did my writing as a hobby.
It wasn’t until after marriage and baby number one that I stumbled into the world of freelance writing—and boy, was I blown away! I had no idea that there was a writers market outside of publishing a book.
After I realized the potential for income from working at home and writing, I dove right in. In fact, within 6 months of starting my freelance writing career, I was regularly making over $1,500 every month from under 15 hours of work a week—an amount I could easily triple if I had more time to dedicate to my work.
Do I have a point in saying all of this? Yes.
My point is that if a twenty-something girl with a high school level education, who couldn’t even tell the difference between a hyphen and an em dash can make money from writing, then so can you.
No matter what struggles you’re facing in your writing, or are going to face, I’ve been through it all.
How To Start Making Money As A Freelance Blogger Today
So down to the nitty-gritty. How do you make money as a blogger? There are 8 steps that you need to get started right now.
- Believe in yourself and your skills. Confidence and endurance are what will help you from fizzling out with the going gets tough. If you don’t have this, you won’t succeed as a writer.
- Have passion for writing.
- Be ready to improve your writing and to take constructive criticism.
- Choose Your Niche. Write down 5 topics that you are passionate about writing and that you believe could be a profitable writing market. (for example: fashion, tech, social media, SEO, food blogging, etc.)
- Start Today. If you don’t have any written pieces on the topics you have written down, then start writing today. (You’ll need these pieces to share with your prospective clients.)
- Get Online. Get an online portfolio or blog that you can direct your prospective clients to.
- Start Your Search. Use this Google Hack to start finding clients in your new writing niche. (“write for us”+[your niche here]) This hack will pull up all the blogs that accept guest bloggers within the keyword, or niche topic, of your choosing.
- Email Your Prospective Clients. Once you’ve found a list of people who accept paid guest posts, send them an email via their “Write For Us” page.
I know… This is all a little overwhelming, but don’t worry, I’ll be explaining these steps a bit more in the future. For the time being, this can help you get started, and there is plenty more that I plan to share.
Freelance Freedom Fighter and You
This Freelance Blogging series will be dedicated to anyone who wants to learns how to get started in the world of blogging and writing. I started this blog as a way to share my successes, my failures, and the tools I turn to every day that power me through the good and the bad. My hope is that I can help inspire a few people like myself to just keep doing what they love.
But like I said, this series is for you. Is there something that you want to know more about? Leave a comment, and I’ll see what I can do about turning your question, comment, or concern in to a post.
Think you know someone who will benefit from the series to come? Be sure to share the post, as there is more to come very soon. And if you want these tips sent straight to your inbox, then be sure to subscribe to the blog.
I look forward to getting more up on the blog soon. Freelance Freedom Fighters, unite! (*wink*)
Did you liked this post?
Subscribe to get weekly updates
You will be notified everytime I have something valuable for you. Click here to read our Privacy Notice